Mental Health First Aid (Youth)
26 – 29 September 2022
7 – 8 February 2023
22 – 25 May 2023
The online Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course is for those whose work focuses on young people aged 8-18. It will teach you the skills and confidence to spot the signs of mental health issues in a young person, offer first aid and guide them towards the support they need. In doing so, you can speed up a young person’s recovery and stop a mental health issue from getting worse.
The course won’t teach you to be a therapist, but it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially stop a crisis from happening.
The course aims to give you the information and skills to look after your own mental health so that you can set an example for young people.
Course Structure for Youth MHFA
• Complete Individual learning prior to session 1 1hr
• Attend online Live session 1 3hrs max
• Complete Individual learning prior to session 2 1hr 15mins
• Attend online Live session 2 3hrs max
• Complete Individual learning prior to session 3 1hr 20mins
• Attend online Live session 3 3hrs max
• Complete Individual learning prior to session 4 1hr 35mins
• Attend online Live session 4 3hrs max
By the end of this course, delegates should be able to:
• Understand the term “mental health”
• Spot the early signs of mental distress
• Provide help on a first aid basis
• Identify appropriate mental health professionals
• Know how to guide someone toward the right support
• Reduce the stigma of mental ill-health
Learning hours: 16
Other courses for development
Rough Sleeper Mental Health Awareness Aneemo eLearning module
Other courses for development available through SISTAD
Working with complex needs
Emotional Wellbeing and resilience in the Workplace
Principle of Trauma informed practice.
Who Should Apply?
Open to all Officers and employees who, in the course of their work, are supporting young people aged 8-18 in mental distress.
Please register your interest by emailing SISTAD Mail drop FAO Liz Menagh. We will contact interested parties nearer the time to confirm dates and offer of places.