Mental Health First Aid
The online Mental Health First Aid for Adults course is a practical skills and awareness course designed to equip learners with the skills and confidence to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues, and provide support and signposting to self-help, or professional services.
Online Course Structure for MHFA Adults:
- Individual Course Work 1 – 1hr
- 22 May 2023: Session 1 (live online) – 3hrs
- Individual Course Work 2 – 2hrs
- 23 May 2023: Session 2 (live online) – 3hrs
- Individual Course Work 3 – 2hrs
- 24 May 2023: Session 3 (live online) – 3hrs
- Individual Course Work 4 – 2hrs
- 25 May 2023: Session 4 (live online) – 3hrs
By the end of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Understand the term “mental health”
- Spot the early signs of mental distress
- Provide help on a first aid basis
- Identify appropriate mental health professionals
- Know how to guide someone toward the right support
- Reduce the stigma of mental ill-health
Learning hours: 16 hours.
Timings: 1pm – 4pm. Please note that delegates need to attend all sessions to complete the course.
Pre-course work: There are four individual learning modules to complete, prior to each live session. Printed material will be sent to students a minimum of 1 week before the first live session. Individual learning will be a mix of reading, videos and workbook activities.
Assessment: Delegates will demonstrate understanding through discussion, response to questions and feedback from group work and case studies.
Learning Platform: Zoom.
Other courses helpful for development: ASIST, Working with Complex Mental Health Needs, Principles of Trauma Informed Practice.
Who Should Apply?
Open to all officers and employees who, in the course of their work, are supporting people in mental distress.
Note: Should an employee/officer book a place on a course but then subsequently fail to attend or complete the course, repayment of cost of the course will be charged to the department/appointment concerned (recoverable from the individual) (Policy CS04 Sect 6.5).